Friday, May 14, 2010

Archive from 2007: Ireland Part 1

>Hi All from sunny Ireland. Well, sunny might be a bit of an exaggeration but a good description of my disposition right now.

Firstly I have to say thankyou to all who participated in the Desert Island MP3 Player Project, especially Melanie, Graham & Stacey for orgnanising it. Its the most awesomely personalised gift I've ever had and it chokes me up just thinking about it. I sat down on the first flight and read the accompanying book, took a while to figure how to drive the mp3 player but got there in the end - and then found myself tearing up while listening to a few peoples little voice messages between the songs. The dude next to me gave me some weird looks but I didnt care. So thanks to everyone again, you've made me feel very loved.


Got in a little delayed on the last connecting flight but got in no worries and was greeted at the airport by Elaine with some colourful Welcome to Ireland signs - in English & Irish! Chilled out by a lake chatting and catching up on a days worth of cigarettes for the first couple of hours then Lainey took me home. I met so so many of the Moynihan family - probably over a dozen on the first day! Elaine's folks, Jim & Jeanette have setup the attic bedroom for Elaine and I, it's all decked out with Australiana to keep me from being homesick. They are all so so nice. The room is actually Elaine's sister, Niamh's (pronounced nee-ov) room and she has been kind enough to move in with her brother James... Its freaking me out as she's so similar to my sister Bec, the way she talks and dresses and stuff, obviously with the accent though. Speaking of accents, jesus, it sounds like everyone is singing to each other instead of talking, I feel my voice to be so bland and monotone in comparison, cats had my tongue a bit because of this but im getting used to the bogan Aussie accent little by little (maaate).

First Irish meal was lunch, a full on roast dinner which had no less than 3 types of potatoes - mashed, roasted and croquette(ed?) which was ace after shitty airplane food. I will be fat as a house within a fortnight if they keep fedding me this well.

On Monday Elaine whisked me and her friend Emma away to a place called Youghal (pronounced Yall) where the family has a permanent caravan setup down there. Had my first pint of guinness on the way down there (only about 40mins from Cork) and got to witness a MAGIC ROAD. You stop the car at this particular tree, turn it off, when you let the handbrake go the car rolls UPHILL. I sh!t you not, I made her do it a dozen times, it's definitely uphill and I definitely cannot explain it. So so cool. We went on a bit of a hike to a place called Mahon Falls which was amazing, Ill hook youse up with some photos soon. Got some neat little videos too.

Emma went home on Tuesday morning and Lainey and I stayed on for another night, drinking vino, playing cards, listnening to dodgy Irish radio (its just as bad as Nova or Fox FM, you'd love it Graham) and going on long walks in the brisk Irish air by the brisk Irish sea - did I mention Im in Ireland? The weather had been mostly sunny and quite warm but there is always a biting wind present that cuts through you. It does not get dark here until 11pm and its not even daylight savings yet, I swear there is so much daylight its like living 2 days at once. 5.30am to 11pm everyday.

Wednesday arvo we strolled around Cork city, Elaine had some things to do and I was happy enough to look around for a couple of hours. Its quite a beautiful city, lots of old buildings and it sits on the River Lee. Not much bigger than Dandenong I'd say but still plenty going on. Around 5 we hit a pub for a 'quick pint' which ended up being a pint and some whisky, then kicking on to Emma & Aidan's shanty (totally like mine) for wine and sweet sweet Irish hash. Had an absolute ball - they are all nutters and so friendly. Everyone sang songs and I even strummed out a few songs to some roaring applause which was quite nice. Emma & Aidan fed me 4 kinds of potato chips Ive never had but may well live off for my time here. We polished off 4 bottles of wine and a good few spliffs before we walked home p!ssed and stoned at 2am. Parents or relatives can disregard that hash part, I'd never do anything of the sort. :P no harm.


On Thursday Elaine & I headed off on another road trip, this time to West Cork with our ultimate destination being Galway - no, I dont know where it is - google it yourself :P. We camped on a gorgeous beach, it cant have been 10 degrees but Lainey was jumping in for a swim, I am not game enough to try the Atlantic just yet. We camped by a lake at the foot of a mountain last night in County Kerry after seeing some of the most gorgeous countryside - again, i'll figure out how to work google photos and post some when im on my own computer. It was bloody freezing last night, it didnt stop raining and the tent leaked quite heavily. As I sit in this internet cafe in Tralee I am still damp and a bit cold but loving the adventure of it all.

Elaine has been the best tour guide, travelling companion & friend. She's so kind and caring, always singing and ranting away about the places we are and such. She's a little too generous in my books though as I've nearly been here a week and my total expenses have been 3 pints (maybe $25 aussie at the most). I can see where she gets it from - her whole family is amazing and have made me feel really at home (not that we've been there much) - always feeding me and filling me in on the local goss. School holidays is about to start for everyone - they get 3 months off (the whole summer) and are heading to Youghal for 6 weeks and then the whole family is going to Bulgaria - I'm thinking of heading over to London to visit Andy if he ever writes me back and if not I might do some cross country cycling. Either way Im lookin forward to being cast into the world alone for a bit.

Well my time is running out so I best be off, hope everyone is doing well and missing me (hahahahaha). Im not feeling the homesickness yet but maybe one day...We'll be back in Cork early next week, maybe Tuesday at the latest - who knows...I've tracked down some wireless internet access prepaid jiggers so when I'm on my own computer and have some time ill do some personalised emails for you.


Much love,
Matty Boom Batty

3 comments:

  1. Ahhh, so jealous... thoroughly enjoyed reading, totally wished i was there & good on you putting all these adventures down on paper! Now more, MORE...lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Any more to say boy!!

    Gimmie some stories, yea langer!!!

    K

    ReplyDelete